The rate of vehicle thefts rose significantly yet again in 2021 in the United States, according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau’s report. These thefts cost businesses and individuals an estimated $7.4 billion per year. Cars are essential to many people’s day-to-day lives, and people are looking for ways to stay protected in this new environment. Washington is #6 on the list of highest thefts per capita, with a 461.91 rate per 1000,000 residents. Oregon is 471.16 per 100,000 residents, leaving West-Coasters uncertain about the safety of their vehicles.
The NICB recommends the following to prevent becoming a victim of auto theft:
- Make sure your auto policy is up to date
- Roll up your windows, lock your doors and never leave your keys in the car
- Park in well-lit areas, look for areas staffed by security when possible
- Park vehicles in a garage when possible
- Install motion-sensory security lights – although these are not an official security measure, it can make thieves think twice about stealing your vehicle
The 10 states that saw the most theft per capita in 2021 were:
- Washington D.C.
- New Mexico
When vehicles are stolen or vandalized, most people don’t know what to do or who will help them. Our clients are different, and we are a local resource to help during the insurance process. If you’d like an auto insurance quote, click here, as an independent agency, we can shop around between carriers and offer you a competitive quote in terms of coverage and price by shopping between carriers. If you have an auto policy through our agency and your car is stolen, you’ll be able to give us a call and talk to a real person that cares about helping you instead of calling a 1-800 number.
If you have questions about your auto insurance, text or call us at (360) 514-9550 and we are happy to walk you through what’s best for you.